

KOBE – ICANN65 Kickoff [C]

KOBE – ICANN65 Kickoff [C]
Thursday, March 14, 2019 – 12:15 to 13:15 JST
ICANN64 | Kobe, Japan

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] ISPCP Constituency.

CLAUDIA SELLI: Claudia Selli, chair of the Business Constituency.

ROD RASMUSSEN: Rod Rasmussen, SSAC chair.

JULIE HAMMER: Julie Hammer, SSAC vice chair.

MANAL ISMAIL: Manal Ismail, GAC chair.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Thank you very much, Ines. We are in the African region. Pierre will be also involved with that group to make sure that our meetings will be well-represented from the region. With that, I would like to turn it over to Tanzania to talk to you about the feedback and other matters for today.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

TANZANICA KING: Thank you, David. So, we're going to go through ... I'd like to get comments from you in terms of how the planning went this time around, everything from selection of topics to getting them on the schedule and planned and execution. How did it go here? And of course the rest of the schedule. So, I really just want to first open it up to you for comments. Who is first?

SUE SCHULER: Hi, Sue Schuler with [registries]. I had spoken to you, Tanzi, before the meeting about the pre-ICANN webinars. And just if this is something that you're going to be doing moving forward, if links to those webinars could be sent out a little earlier so that we can get it sent out to our group ahead of time. And if possible, links to any recordings of those webinars so that we can get it out to people before the sessions, that would be great.

TANZANICA KING: I will get that done, as promised.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Wolf Ulrich?

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN: Thanks, Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen for the ISPCP. Thanks very much. In principle, we are satisfied with this preparation. Just one minor point with regards to the preparation of the high-interest topic sessions. Filling up them with getting that organized, let me say, phrase it in

that way. I understand well that people have to do their work in that and we also came up very late, for example, to announce who should lead, for example, through a universal acceptance session.

However, [inaudible] the outcome if then immediately from staff side, you could respond in who is the one, the counterpart, in preparing that. There was a bit of time of confusion about that and people having [inaudible] saying, “What is going on there? Please help me.”

So, if they are firm about that, then there’s no problem because we are all professionals behind that organizing [inaudible]. But to have the link to staff very early, as early as possible, that would be helpful. Thank you.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Donna Austin?

DONNA AUSTIN:

Thanks, David. To follow-up from Wolf-Ulrich, it seemed that the planning got behind for this meeting. In the past, we’ve been better prepared for those session. I don’t know why that happened but I think it was, for some reason, we seemed to [inaudible] behind. So, I agree with what Wolf-Ulrich is saying. Thanks.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:

Thank you. So, a couple of things. First of all, as you know, we had a bit of a problem trying to get a room for our meeting with compliance. I know all meetings are [recorded] so you guys have an impossible job

to prioritize but that was really important. So, if you could ... I don't know. Because there's no other – there's no way of prioritizing when we submit a request to say this one, really, there has to be a room for it. But that is why.

The other thing that I wanted to mention is I was staying in a hotel that needed a shuttle bus for the first time. It felt like the timetable was really nonsensical because I felt like ... I get that it's reasonable to not have shuttles maybe the whole day and not in the middle of the day, but the first one going back at 10 past 6:00 when there's a session from 5:00 to 6:30 makes no sense. I understand the logic behind not all day but at least just after 5:00 being the earliest one. Then, for my hotel anyway, there was a shuttle at 10 past 6:00, at 6:30 which is too early for sessions finishing at 6:30 and then not again until 7:15. I'm not sure. Maybe there was some logic to it, but it made no sense to me and it was really, really irritating to have to wait. Thanks.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Manal?

MANAL ISMAIL: So, on the voting on the cross-community sessions and high-interest topics, I was wondering if we can just have some little bit more time so that we can have the time to discuss among the GAC. And also, if we can have a little bit of description with the topics because I recall this time we just shared the potential topics with GAC members without any descriptions and then we had to explain that IDNs and universal

acceptance and it's [the region] and then [GDPR]. So we gave the explanation that might not be accurate as well, so it's better to have those who propose the sessions to provide even a couple of sentences to describe the session. Thank you.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: More descriptive so you can circulate that and get some feedback. Rod?

ROD RASMUSSEN: Yeah. On that note, I think one of the issues with the cross-community sessions was they did get handed off to the people leading them. But those folks may need a little assistance with the logistics of getting that done. I don't know that we were behind as much as it was some confusion about how to deal with it. I think the descriptions would be helpful because when you're trying to recruit somebody to be on that panel, they want to know what they're going to be talking about. That would be helpful.

Is this for the cross-community sessions or other feedback as well? A quick question. My apologies for not remembering what we were going to do with this, but we I believe talked about potentially marking things that are technical versus security instead of just technical. We ended up, at one point, with three security sessions basically going up against each other at one time, so we got a [inaudible] kind of thing.

Now, it's a great problem to have that you're doing that much content, but we definitely showed this time that if we weren't doing the T versus S, I guess, then we should probably be doing that so we can better balance that stuff. Thanks.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Of course. Thank you. Donna, did you ... Please.

DONNA AUSTIN: Yeah. Thanks, David. I guess on the cross-community sessions, we did change the way we do things this time. So, we identified the topics, but what we didn't then do was have that step in there, a session description. So, what we had before was when you submitted a topic that would have a session description with it, but we changed the process but I think we forgot a vital step in the process was that once we identified the topic, then do that session description and then go out. So, I think that's the step that we probably missed this time.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Thank you. Any other comments? It is true that with these cross-community sessions, it's a second priority to your first priority of organizing your own work and your own schedules, so that is something that we understand. Hopefully, in the policy forum context, some of the sessions may indeed be a working group or others, so it makes it somewhat easier in that sense to plan. But we take your point. The sooner and earlier, the better.

In terms of assigning someone from ICANN Org, the policy team is there to help. What we've done in the past, of course, is assign an executive, a more subject matter expert advisor, so to say, to do that. But we'll be able to at an earlier stage have obviously someone from the policy team – Mary Wong and others – to help out in the organizing of the sessions in advance. Then obviously to help the sessions when we're on the ground. Stephanie Perrin?

STEPHANIE PERRIN:

Thank you. Just kudos for the webinar week. I think that really, really worked well for our members. We'd like to try and package and manage that so that people who want to learn can understand where to go, which webinars to follow. So, that's really great and I agree that a little more warning ahead would help us do that so that we can package it.

My recollections of the Marrakech site, if we are in the same place we were last time, was that it's not particularly disability friendly. This is really more of a question than anything else. How do we package that? Do people have to identify? Is there an easy access that you can say, "It's going to take me 20 minutes to get from A to B. What can I do?"

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

The last time we were in Marrakech, we actually had the hotel build at our request two ramps to make it handicap accessible. There is also, when you register for the event, there is a box that you can check that

says, “I need some assistance.” That goes directly to our health and safety coordinators, ICANN staff, who then get back to the individuals to ask what kind of assistance they need and we determine how best to accommodate them whether it be with golf carts, wheelchairs, scooters. So, there is a plan in place to do that. So, if you know of anyone who needs help, please tell them to get to us early on and we will certainly look after them.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Thank you for your comment about the prep week. I call it webinar week. This is an attempt to make sure that, from the ICANN Org side, we can organize any presentations in advance but also for the point of pointing out what might be of interest to people, what to sign up for, or to be part of remote participation.

So, this was a pilot, starting with this meeting. We will continue it and improve it. Other departments in ICANN may be added to that. Maybe a GDD or someone else. It all depends. But we’re definitely going to continue it. Thank you for the comments. Sue?

SUE SCHULER:

Sue Schuler from the [registries]. After we put in our request for meetings and we’re past our deadline, then we kind of have put this out into the cosmos, I guess, and then we’re in limbo until we find out whether or not.

Is there a way, when you know that you’re having difficulty scheduling a certain timeframe, that we could get notification of that maybe a

little earlier? Maybe we could help ... As opposed to finding out about it the week before the meeting and then we're scrambling. Thanks.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

That's called putting the pieces of the puzzle together that Tanzania does so well, but that's right. We'll be happy to give you some more notice on that. Any other feedback from the ICANN meetings? Good. Tanzania?

TANZANICA KING:

I'll just address a couple of the things, starting with the planning for the topics. If you recall, we decided last time that we wanted to wait as long as possible to determine what the topics were going to be which made sense. And that was part of how we ended up in the position we were in because instead of doing the usual submissions and selecting the topics, we sort of figured out what they were probably going to be here, which was also kind of interesting and new. But then we didn't have anyone specifically to go to and say what's the description going to be. So, it was definitely confusing, threw things off.

I'm going to, of course, leave it up to you guys but suggest that we don't do it that way again this time. We still do the regular proposals. We can still push that date out. It really just means that you have to be able to create the rest of your schedule without knowing what those topics are. So, that's the challenge there and I know that staff get a little uneasy because they want to submit your schedules and they're

worried everything is going to change because suddenly we've got topics, so that's where my thinking comes in.

With the timing for the puzzle to come together, I love to share the schedule as early as possible. What people don't know is that when it's still in progress, I have to put the puzzle piece somewhere. I only have a board that's so big, so I tend to move things around and I know in my head that it's got to go back to this other time. So, if I send it out too early people get really upset. Everything is not where it should be. So, I'll do that. I just want to say that out loud so that you can keep that in mind as I share it, that it's not something to get too worried about if everything is not exactly where you hope it will end up, if that makes sense.

So, talking then, going ahead and talking about the timeline, which I hope you all have the printout because it was not going to work too well on the screen.

This timeline takes us back to what we've been doing before the last planning. It means that in April we already have to submit cross-community topics and figure out what they are. Again, this is flexible. We might want to think about actually submitting topics with some information so that there's summary there without putting too much pressure on everyone to make it a really detailed summary. That way, we've got a description and something to start with and not necessarily a finite date to decide which topics you want to do. But I already see Donna just waiting to say something, so go ahead, Donna.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Donna Austin?

DONNA AUSTIN:

Thanks. So, Tanzi, given this is a policy forum in Marrakech, are the number of high-interest topic sessions the same and what priority do we give to ... Because I would think the GNSO Council needs to have a conversation about what the policy requirements might be. And I know we talk about this as a policy forum but I think we should think of it also as a work progress [forum] so maybe there's more work efforts that are going on that aren't strictly policy but we probably should think about expanding that a little bit, at the risk of being hit over the head.

TANZANICA KING:

So, right now on the block schedule we have seven rather than eight. In the past, we've been doing two every afternoon. This time, the reason that it's currently at seven is that we put the welcome into the afternoon. So, instead of slipping everything up, I thought maybe more time for outreach. I think somewhere along the way, wasn't there agreement, David? It will be right before the networking hour which will be really nice.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

The issue is making sure that we have the correct and right appropriate representation after [inaudible] session.

TANZANICA KING: So, that said, you have more time for outreach in the morning.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Also, again, a different change from what we have at the community forum or the annual general meeting, we have those briefing sessions in the morning that a lot of people use to prepare groups and whatnot. So, that's also still part of that format.

TANZANICA KING: No. We printed out the production schedule but everything else is in your e-mail and only on the slides. Also, I want to, before I forget, I will send this to you because each day is laid out with all the groups, I'll send this to you in the Excel format so you can use it and add things to it and we can share the document that way. So, in terms of how many do we have? Seven topics. Do we somehow need to turn it back to eight? Do we have three? Do we have four? This is all up to you. So, we can take submissions on what topics you want to have and do it that way and figure out how many slots we need. The best way to think about it, if I were you, I would say is do you want them to be non-conflicted? If they're non-conflicted, then you can plan the rest of your schedule and you don't have to worry about what the topics end up being because they're always going to be in the afternoon if we leave the block schedule as is. Otherwise, you might want to have that date of selecting topics come sooner. Any thoughts?

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Pam, please?

[PAM LITTLE]:

Hi. I just want to echo what Donna just said about this being a policy forum meeting and a number of major PDPs and EPDPs are ongoing, so just urge our community to bear that in mind when you plan your sessions. So, I do hope we can get some traction on some of those PDPs and EPDP work done during the ICANN 65 meeting. And also when we plan the high-interest topic, also try to avoid conflicts. Because to date, based on what I've heard and seeing some of the high-interest topics were not very well attended. So, I don't know the reason. Maybe it's conflict or other reason. Just want to remind folks about this.

And if I may, while I've got the microphone, with this meeting I think we had a catering order cutoff time quite early and we had an event that wasn't planned for it. It sort of was quite difficult for the council to cater or make change to that. So, do we know whether there is similar restriction of timeline when is the catering cutoff time for ICANN 65? Thanks.

TANZANICA KING:

So, the deadline for catering at this venue in particular was tight because that's the way it needs to be here in Japan. Everything operates really smoothly here, and the reason is because they have rules and they really stick to them, unlike how we often work which is extremely flexible. So, we knew that very early on and that's why we kept putting that date out there to try to get everybody to know ahead of time and we did the best we could, even when there were late

requests for changes to try and get them in. A lot of begging. We got a couple of things but not everything.

So, in Marrakech, we'll still have a good deadline that is close to when the session forms are due because that's reasonable, but it will not be as hardcore as it was here.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Stephanie?

STEPHANIE PERRIN:

Thanks. We really appreciate the abundance of coffee that was available here because sometimes that isn't the case. Your session runs late and it's gone. So, that's great.

My question is – and I realize you don't control the hotel, but if we want to do a parallel workshop outside the ICANN agenda on outreach on human rights and cybersecurity, sometimes it's really hard to find a space. Do you happen to know whether they're booked right up to our event or is it slow season there? When would we be able to find out? Because our planning for that is not going to match this planning.

TANZANICA KING:

I'm not good at this today. I'm staring at Josh because he might have some idea about availability but I do not.

JOSH: For Marrakech, we will have two days prior to the meeting starting, so that Saturday and Sunday. I apologize I don't know the dates off the top of my head. But we will have those two dates where we will have a handful of rooms that will be available, so you can just work with your staff person to be able to schedule those rooms.

STEPHANIE PERRIN: Wonderful. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING: So, I think the question is about the venue having additional space outside of what we've contracted. Do you know if there's ...

JOSH: Yeah. The hotel [inaudible] has a couple of meeting rooms because we have not taken all of the meeting rooms on the property. Just off the top of my head, I believe that there are three or four available meeting rooms outside of the contracted blocks for ICANN.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Donna?

DONNA AUSTIN: How many days are there for this meeting?

TANZANICA KING: Four days.

DONNA AUSTION: Plus two optional at the beginning?

TANZANICA KING: Two for pre-meetings.

DONNA AUSTIN: Pre-meetings for who?

TANZANICA KING: Well, it depends who requests them. So, we no longer do anything after the meeting which was what used to happen. We often have internal ... So, it's primarily we have the board doing their workshop and some internal just from the Org. There are some times review teams who have asked to have pre-meetings. For the most part, that's what we see at those early two days.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Yes, Manal?

JULIA: Hello. This is Julia, GAC support. Just to let Donna know that the GAC will be having a pre-ICANN 65 workshop, capacity building workshop for underserved regions. That is before the ICANN meeting starts.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Thank you. Stephen, did you want to wait for any other business or did you want to put it into this context? You wanted to make an announcement on the empowered community, I suspect.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: It's ECA related. It's not an announcement. It's just I would like actually to reserve that block from 7:30 to 8:30 that is currently blank for possible approval form, depending on what the board does between now and then. But I just would like that penciled in, in your thoughts as you prepare this going forward. We did an early one in [Johannesburg] but I can't remember how early we started.

TANZANICA KING: I'm willing to bet it wasn't before 8:00 AM. We are doing early starts here for outreach, so if you can meet me halfway and say 8:00 AM start, that would make everyone very happy, especially on our tech teams.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: 8:00 would be nice. The daily board briefing at 8:30 would make it rather short approval forum because the board needs to come and sell their idea to the community.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Thank you. We'll take that into consideration. In terms of the daily board briefing, this is something that is constantly evolving and at one point the board may not want to opt for that and we suggested in the

past, at least the last time, that they instead attend the various briefings that are available by the various communities to prepare for the day or the daily work. So, there might be some leeway there for that.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Okay. Then, go 8:00. Let's respect the staff here. Again, this is completely hypothetical. We don't know whether the board is going to have anything for us or not but it's possible they might because there are several that are being discussed that will be fundamental bylaw changes that will require an approval forum. Thank you.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: And a good opportunity to brief on the empowered community's role. Wolf-Ulrich?

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN: Thanks. Just a question for clarification. Will the entire board be available in Marrakech or do we have to ask for certain board members to be available for our purposes?

[DAVID MCAULEY]: The entire board will be there. Usually, what happens then, they take a look at the schedule and they decide to go to various sessions or various meetings, so obviously they'll know by the topics. That's usually the case. Yeah.

TANZANICA KING: Just to add a little bit to that. So, if you have a specific meeting that you want as many board members to attend, you can send that information to us. I've been working with Board Ops and making sure that they know exactly what you guys are hoping they'll be at and they will be asking me that question. So, just send that information over.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: That's right. I'm sorry. I misunderstood part of that. That's correct. Donna, please?

DONNA AUSTIN: Thanks, David. I'm sorry to people that are new to this and if I'm becoming a little bit tedious. But I was involved in the Meeting Strategy Working Group, so I have a bit of history with this stuff. Will Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday be pretty much the same format as Monday? Right. I thought there was a public comment ... So, Nick and Sally put out a paper about extending the policy forum for an extra day to five days, so that one day could be concentrated on outreach. I thought there was an agreement around that. So, that's not the case for this here, those two front-loaded days are not for outreach?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Donna, you're correct in that we did put out a comment period, that the comment did come back to extend it and then we did the reality check with the budget and found that it would cost an additional

\$350,000 to extend the meeting by one day. And when we came back out and reported to you guys, I believe – and Tanzania, if you wouldn't mind reminding me when we did that – that we would not extend by a day.

DONNA AUSTIN:

So you know what my next question is. Well, no, you front-loaded this meeting with two extra days, so where's the ... Is that \$350 grand or is that nothing?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

So, I'm not sure that calling it front-loaded is proper but perhaps it is and we can have that debate. Those days have always been there on the schedule. They have never changed meeting to meeting to meeting. They were used for mostly review team meetings that come up and we think it's appropriate to accommodate them.

The other thing we're not using the full facilities. We're using a set number of rooms, so they'll load into our main meeting room. They'll load into the GAC room, etc. It doesn't happen then. It happens on time. And because of that, this type of activity, while it presents some cost, doesn't present \$350,000 a day in costs.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Other comments or questions? Stephanie, please.

STEPHANIE PERRIN: Just trying to help with the budget here. Maybe we could have a ban on EPDP and that would save some money.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Well, I was thinking that if there were three of the high-interest topic sessions, you don't have to worry about organization. We have everything fixed and set.

TANZANICA KING: So, then, next on the agenda really I have is are there topics that we already can guess are going to end up on the schedule? Is there any conversations we can have now about work that's anticipated in April and May that would suggest a topic might be there but not ready until end of May? Anything we can talk about or get onto the schedule as a possible topic I think helps everybody to start thinking about that stuff.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Donna, you were alluding to that.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Everybody else, just leave the room. I think that we need to hear from the GNSO what sessions they want for the policy stuff, and even the ccNSO if there is efforts that you have ongoing that perhaps you want for the high-interest topics. But maybe there's a separation here between what's required for PDP work and then maybe separate high-interest sessions because I know the ccNSO has been pretty good at

identifying topics that do have that wider community kind of interest. But I guess it's a matter of how many sessions we have what's going to be devoted to the policy stream and what we can separate as other high-interest topics.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

I think it's appropriate for me to also remind this group that we will also have a continuation – we have to figure where it fits in – of the evolution of the ICANN governance model. We're starting it today, obviously. The board and others will probably want to continue that in some way, shape, or form in Marrakech as well as follow-up. Wolf-Ulrich?

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN:

Thank you. In addition, I think with regards to the EPDP and ongoing work for that, there might be a specific interest. It has not been [inaudible] discussed here in the CSG or in the community about this uniform disclosure model, not access model but disclosure model, to have a high-interest topic session about that, depending on the ongoing work of the EPDP team. Thanks.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

So, a possible separate session or maybe linked to some of the other work. I understand that. And then sessions from the Org has always been an option or a possibility. Again, we will have part of that today as the executive Q&A but do we want to continue that or have some variation of that?

Then, one other thing I would like to raise with you is that it would be helpful if the board could have an informal session not in part of the high-interest topics that may allow them to consult with the community there on various topics, an in particular there was some thought of some time of a session to talk about the work of the anti-harassment working group as an example, as an option for the board and that board working group to consult. Again, for consideration. Manal?

MANAL ISMAIL:

So, a quick heads up on the cross-community sessions because when we were preparing for Kobe here, we got a request from the GAC Working Group on Human Rights and International Law that we organize a cross-community session here in Kobe on human rights and my response at the time was that the topics are more or less decided and even if we proposed this and we go for the voting, probably the GDPR and other IDNs and were pretty much, like you mentioned Tanzania, we were pretty much settled on the three topics and there are only three sessions.

So, this is just a heads up. I'll get back to GAC colleagues, make sure whether they still want to have this session maybe in Marrakech or not and provide maybe more details. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Okay. Thank you. I will add these just as notes onto our block schedule so that we don't forget that they came up in the discussion. Then, let's

just make sure we have a collective decision that we're okay with the plan to submit proposals with a short description. I want to reiterate that part. It does not have to be a huge comprehensive proposal in order for us to get it in and allow everyone to see some sort of summary on the topic which should take a little bit of the pressure off of getting those in earlier. And it doesn't have to mean that just because we do an initial deadline and submit them that you can't submit more.

So, if we're okay with the ... I've got to look at the page again to see what it is – with doing that in April on your handout, so that we've got them submitted by the 19th of April. I'll look for head nods if that works out.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

In terms of various options to help on what might be an ICANN Org suggested topic, I would take it upon myself to work with our executive team to come up with some proposal which we would share with you for consideration on those topics. That would make it a little easier, I think. But obviously if you have other things in mind for us, we'd like to hear about them.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO:

Hi, this is Alejandra from ccNSO. Just because I don't think I understand the question, the question was are we able to submit something for the date that it's established in April? That's the question.

TANZANICA KING: Yes.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: Okay. May I suggest that since we don't have much time from here to June, if we can circulate ideas through the mailing list maybe. So, if somebody else also has the same topic or the same idea, it's known in advance so we are not like too shortening time to decide. Of course, we need to ask the ccNSO community what topics they want and everything and we will do it as soon as possible, but maybe not wait until April to discuss the topics. It's a suggestion.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Manal, please.

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes. Just to support the idea because sometimes we run into situations that by that date we are receiving multiple proposals for more or less the same topic and then the voting doesn't really become indicated, so it's good to have the topics consolidated in advance.

TANZANICA KING: So that date is sort of the last date I'm asking for you to submit stuff so that then we can share those final submissions. It would be great if you started talking about the topics and circulating them and starting the conversations today. So, that's just a date when we want to get

something in so that then I can send you guys a comprehensive report on here's the topics that everyone is proposing. But I think that the early discussion is important so that you don't ... Why have two people, three people, which we've had in the past all trying to submit GDPR? It seems like not a great use of everyone's time. So, definitely I would suggest getting the topics into the conversation using the mailing list before submitting.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Any other comments? So, we will make sure that in our first mailing after our meeting here where we have some of the block schedule materials you have on the screen, we'll also encourage you to start that conversation about ideas and sessions that could be consolidated or used or common themes created for the cross-community or high-interest topics.

TANZANICA KING:

And unless there are any other comments about that, I think we have ten minutes left for any other business or lunch if you haven't gotten it yet.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

With that, last option for any other business, items that you want to bring to our attention or bring to the group's attention. Donna?

DONNA AUSTIN:

I just want to note my opposition to the change to the opening ceremony being moved to the end of the day. I would prefer to see it stay where it is. It's low-key. I think it sets a really good tone for the four days. That's my preference, where I'd like to see it.

The other thing is during our session with the board, I was told that it is the community that sets the agenda for these meetings and I don't think that is actually the case. I'm a little bit upset about how this has gone today to be quite frank. So, if this is community that's supposed to be setting this agenda, maybe leave it to us to make some of these decisions rather than coming into a room and telling us what's going to happen. The rationale for that outreach day just doesn't make any sense and we weren't informed – I don't believe we were informed that that's been a change.

So, I could be wrong. I might have missed it. I'm pretty pissed off. I think people probably get that sense around the table. So, this is either our – the community – developing the schedule or it's ICANN Org. So, just let us know which one and then we can sort that out.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Thank you. Your comment is noted and we'll surely poll the group on this but I guess we are also part of ICANN in the general sense and we are trying to facilitate this. So, these are proposals for you to look at. Now, of course, we could give blank pieces of paper but that doesn't help either. So, we're just trying to be helpful on this.

DONNA AUSTIN: The opening ceremony, David, seriously. We did not make a decision. We had a conversation. We did not make a decision. And I know that the CEO has been making a strong push to change that, so that's why I'm annoyed.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: And we heard your comment and we'll take that. Katrina and then Wolf-Ulrich. Katrina?

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you very much. I would like to support Donna's comment about the welcome ceremony. I think that we were pretty strong about the fact that we opposed the change. But I also agree that we cannot start from a blank page. We will never make it by Marrakech. So, we need to start somewhere and I'd like to thank ICANN Org for preparing this somewhere we could start. Thank you. But I do not have an answer to Donna's idea that it should be the community that works on the schedule because how can we be efficient and how can we come up with ... Yeah. If you have an answer, that would be great.

DONNA AUSTIN: Katrina, just to be clear, I think the point that I was trying to make is we can't do this alone. We need help. Tanzi is fabulous. But there's two significant changes that have happened that I thought we had some discussion here and something went out for public comment. And there's been two decisions that have changed. So, moving that opening ceremony to the afternoon, that wasn't something that we

agreed on. There was a public comment on the outreach to extend this policy forum to an extra day so that outreach could be done at the beginning and it's nonsensical to me. I hear Nick what he's saying, that the extra two days, you're not using the facility all day. But if the GAC is having capacity building, Stephanie is trying to find some space for outreach. It's some kind of bastardization of what we're trying to achieve anyway, so can't we find a way to do that rather than saying, no, those two days aren't to be used for outreach? It just seems nonsensical to me.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Graham and I think then Rod. Graham?

GRAHAM:

Thanks. If people want to continue on this theme, I have a slightly different one. So, if someone else wants to jump in on this particular topic, they can. I think Stephanie ... Sorry, I've been running queues all week.

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Okay, thank you. Rod and then Stephanie. Rod?

ROD RASMUSSEN:

Well, I don't think SSAC has any position one way or the other. One, the opening ceremony, it probably would be a good idea to have the community make that decision just to avoid this kind of thing popping up. I'm not sure, the extra day. Adding an extra day of substantive

stuff. We had that discussion and agreed that spending that kind of money, that was a discussion we had. I remember being in the room at the time. That one we did have.

Now, how that affects outreach and stuff, I'm not sure how that fits in, but I know we actually did say there's probably better ways for ICANN to spend money than having that extra day. I just wanted to ...

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Nick, to respond.

[NICK WENBAN-SMITH]: Yes. Thank you for bringing that up. That's as I recall as well and I will try to find the transcript and send it to the group so that you can see where it was discussed.

DONNA AUSTIN: So, I accept that but I'm still struggling with those two days of the other meetings.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: Stephanie and then Wolf-Ulrich and then we'll go back to Graham. Stephanie?

STEPHANIE PERRIN: I'd just like to support Donna. Usually, it's the non-commercials that are the grumpy ones being pissed off. I know. You're shocked to see

that, right? So, thank you, Donna. Obviously, I wasn't in on previous planning but it does seem to me fundamentally illogical. We were planning to do education on cybercrime in Africa. It is needed. And I can go out and fundraise and find somebody who will fund this because it's a priority in other places and we can put our own workshop on, but I think that makes ICANN look bad because the whole idea of doing these shorter meetings in developing areas where you can have a big one, I thought that was so that we could do outreach and raise the awareness, so ...

[DAVID MCAULEY]:

Wolf-Ulrich?

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN:

Thank you. Different point with regards to the deadline for allocating people traveling to ICANN meetings. I think the 20 days, you set a deadline for that before that. So, [inaudible] this time when [inaudible] prepared for this meeting already to decide who is going to be sent to Marrakech next time. This is a little bit problematic because we used to allocate slots to people, depending on what's going to happen between the meetings.

So, is there any flexibility in that? I understand sometimes it may be set because of visa problems or issues, but not all participants are faced with those problems. So, is there is any flexibility in that? Thank you.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: You're absolutely right, Wolf. A lot of that is driven by the visa and the time for that. I'll look and talk to Joseph and constituency travel to see what flexibility we have or for those who might need that flexibility we'll try to see what ... We can get an answer on that. Graham?

GRAHAM: Thank you. The CPH I think generally [finds] our board meetings or the structure of our meeting to the board kind of [loathsome]. I think we do not ... board planning but the way that is structured is increasingly troublesome for us. My hunch is that other people in the room probably feel the same way, so we're going to spend some time trying to think about new ways to do that meeting. If other people are interested in participating in that, then I think we're probably interested in having that conversation because, for sure, there is a better way to interact with the board in a public and transparent way that is not just sitting in a U with a bunch of people with their heads down.

So, I don't know how we go about doing that, but if there is interest, then we can collectively talk about it. Thanks.

[DAVID MCAULEY]: That would be not for the policy forum since it doesn't happen, so you have some time there. If I could comment on that, that would be interesting to hear because we've been going through various permutations of how best to do that, to make it a productive interchange. At one point, when I first arrived, there were no real

questions. It was just open mic, in that sense. We've tried that to formulate topics or questions at an attempt to do that.

We were thinking with this evolution of the ICANN model that maybe a plenary session with all the stakeholders coming before constituency day might work, too, but that was too soon of an idea to plan because everything was already in place. So, those ideas I think would be welcome. And the board will of course talk about that.

And we're one minute over. I don't mean to do that. But just to recap, we will make sure that – don't forget to give us an opt-in, opt-out on the mailing list. I will be sending a mailing out shortly where we will also ask you to suggest already topics that might be for the high-interest or cross-community session. We will also take into account your comments. This was to be a proposal for you to be working on, a working document. It was not to be a decision being made supposedly, Donna. So there is still flexibility to talk about that.

And as to the topic of four days or five days, what was that option, we will research that and get the documentation on that. But as Rod talked to us about it, that was something that we had gotten consensus on from our other communications and meetings with the group.

With that, I want to thank you for joining us for lunch and planning for, in my view, the best ICANN meeting, the policy forum. We'll see you soon in Marrakech. Thank you!

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]