
KOBE – At-Large APRALO Meeting
Wednesday, March 13, 2019 – 13:30 to 15:00 JST
ICANN64 | Kobe, Japan

SATISH BABU: Amal, can you hear us? This is Satish speaking from the APRALO meeting.

AMAL AL-SAQQAF: Yeah, yeah. I can hear you.

SATISH BABU: I hope you have the agenda with you. You are coming up as Number 7. Is that okay?

AMAL AL-SAQQAF: Yeah, yeah.

SATISH BABU: Good afternoon and a warm welcome to this meeting which is the APRALO monthly meeting that combines last month February and this month March. This meeting is a regular meeting held once every month. This time since were in Kobe we thought we would convert this into a face-to-face meeting.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

I'd like to first of all welcome everybody who has joined either remotely or with us here in the hall. For those who are connecting through remote participation through AC, this is a very big hall and there are just a few of us. So we are inviting everybody to come up on stage if they want.

With that word of welcome, I'd like to get into the agenda. We will have a quick round of self-introductions. Just say your name and where you're from so that we don't take too much time over it. Can we start from Siva?

SIVASUBRAMANIAN MUTHUSAMY: I'm Sivasubramanian Muthusamy from ISOC India Chennai ALS.

JUSTINE CHEW: Hi. My name is Justine Chew. I'm from Malaysia and an individual member of APRALO.

HOLLY RAICHE: Holly Raiche from Australia with Internet Australia, the Australian chapter of ISOC. Thank you.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Lianna Galstyan, Internet Society Armenia, APRALO vice chair.

ALI ALMESHAL: Ali AlMeshal, Bahrain ISOC board member and APRALO vice chair.
Thank you.

SATISH BABU: I'm Satish Babu. I chair the APRALO and I come from the Internet Society India Trivandrum chapter.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I am Silvia Vivanco, At-Large staff senior manager. I come from Peru.

KAILI KAN: Kaili Kan, ALAC member from China. Thank you.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Gunela Astbrink, Internet Australia chapter of ISOC. Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG: Edmon Chung with my capacity as ISOC Hong Kong.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] from [inaudible] .asia.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Sandra Hoferichter not from Asia Pacific, from Europe, and former ALAC member.

SATISH BABU: You're welcome.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] from China.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] from NetMission.asia.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Hi. I'm [inaudible] ICANN local host committee fellowship from Japan.

ROBERTO GAETANO: Roberto Gaetano, PIR board, actually from Europe but citizen of the world.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

DON HOLLANDER: Don Hollander from Book Haven in New Zealand.

SAVENACA VOCEA: Save Vocea, ICANN staff, Oceania GSE.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hello. I'm [inaudible] from Japan.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It might be the largest room APRALO ever met.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: But on the other hand, we are indeed the world's largest RALO. So we deserve it. We have the biggest room.

TOM DALE: Tom Dale from Internet Australia. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thank you very much. I think we have covered everybody physically present here. Now how many people do we have online?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We do have online Amal from ISOC Yemen and we have Amrita Choudhury from Delhi, [Hong Su], Jahangir Hossain, and all the others are present here.

SATISH BABU:

Right. So thanks very much once again to everybody who has joined us. And we will get started with the agenda. The next item on the agenda, Number 2, is the APRALO membership matters. Currently, we are at 55 ALSes and we have one vote which is happening right now for the latest applicant. That would make it 56. And this latest applicant is, I think, ISOC India Mumbai chapter, and the vote is currently progressing. We also have opened up the individual membership, and currently we have, I think, nine individual members. [inaudible] Justine is here as a representative. She's in fact – Abu Dhabi is a representative of individual members, and she's also here.

The next item is the regular policy update. We have in the agenda put Holly and Kaili, but it will be Holly and Justine who will be speaking on the policy item as requested by Kaili. Over to you, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thanks very much. A couple of main topics of policy. The first is the perennial EPDP, the Expedited Policy Development Process, addressing the GDPR. I'm not going to go into too much detail except to say that Phase 1 which was actually working out what information should be collected and retained and made public or not has been completed.

We're now on Phase 2 which is going to concentrate largely on the access model. Now part of that has already been addressed because in fact the protocol which is called RDAP, let's say that the ruling has been changed such that RDAP protocol now must have it's what's called the gated facility activated. That is, allowing gated access such that people who apply to have access to the information will only have access to the information based on their identity and the purpose for which they are accessing. The technical aspect has been solved.

The rules surrounding that and how that's going to happen still has to be part of Phase 2. There are still some issues left over from the first phase that will be addressed in part two. So we're a long way from completing the whole process of implementing the PDP, but that's where we're up to.

The other main issue is really some of it's subsequent procedures and geo names work. Who do we have from geo names? I'm going to defer to the lady on my right.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Thanks for having me up here, Satish. I am going to limit my intervention to subsequent procedures because I'm a member of the working group of subsequent procedures. Subsequent procedures PDP working group has a number of facets. We currently have what we call the plenary level which is dealing with

all the matters that were split under Work Tracks 1-4 before. And we also have a Work Track 5 that specifically deals with geographic names.

So where we're up to with the subsequent procedures working group is that the working group has issued three initial reports. One main initial report, if I could call it that, then we have two supplementary initial reports. The first supplementary initial report has five additional issues that were not covered in the main initial report, and the second initial report is to do with Work Track 5 geographic names.

What's happened so far is the public comment periods for each of those initial reports that I've mentioned have closed. They were actually staggered, so they closed in September, December, and January respectively. And the working groups, including Work Track 5, have started reviewing the public comments.

There's a lot of work to be done. If I can just share in terms of the number of public comments that have come in, for the main initial report we received 70 [over] public comments. The supplementary initial report received 14 comments, and the Work Track 5 has received 42 comments. And I'm pleased to report that APRALO has participated in the public comments and discussions for policy for those areas. A number of the members of APRALO have contributed actively in the process. And we

generally do deliberation through something called the At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group or the CPWG.

So in terms of moving forward, the subsequent procedures working group and Work Track 5, as I mentioned, they're now reviewing all the public comments that have been received. There haven't been substantial discussions on the merits of the comments. We have just done a triage, looking at it from a high level point of view just to see trends of whether there's been agreement on certain topics or divergence or new ideas.

So moving forward there's still a lot of work to be done and there's still going to be opportunities to comment on certain issues because, for example, in the plenary level the working group has identified additional open issues which were not necessarily covered in detail or at all in the main initial report. So I believe that APRALO members who will still be participating in one way or another and if you are interested or even new to the process you're interested to join in, in the policy debate, please get in touch with ICANN staff. They will be able to direct you to join the CPWG. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much, Holly and Justine. Before we open up for questions, I'd like to request Kaili to talk to us.

KAILI KAN:

Yeah, thank you, Satish. Well, actually, Justine has been following many issues very closely so I think I don't have much to add. However, about the subsequent procedures and also another round of new gTLDs, from this morning's meeting with the board it looks like, well, nobody is really insisting on another round of new gTLDs. But it seems like it is a given that it is assumed already that it will happen. So anyway, the 2012 round of new gTLDs has already impacted our end users interests in many ways, especially regarding the trustworthiness of domain names and also other phishing and so forth. So I would suggest that our community, especially the APRALO people, that we watch closely on that front and really insist on defending our end users' interests.

And also another besides the policy issues also regarding, Satish, which you mentioned about our membership matters, I think as we just talk about APRALO we cover well over half of the entire world's population as well as netizens. So I think we would like to have well over half of the ALSes which we do not have yet. But we should have much more ALSes as well as individual members to actively participate within ICANN's policymaking process. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Kaili. These are clearly important points. Maureen, please come over here. This seat is for you. We have just now got Maureen to join us. She was in another meeting and she just came in. Yes, so the participation and also the new round of gTLDs and our role, these are all important points that we will be addressing, especially since we have the ATLAS meeting coming up where the entire cross section of the At-Large will be assembling together. That would be a good place to discuss this particular issue.

Of course, there is a regional angle to this for us in Asia Pacific. This is the IDN part of the new gTLDs because there seems to be some amount of excitement about the new gTLD [based around] IDNs. Given the fact that we are extremely diverse and we have so many scripts and the expectation we are not sure whether the actual number of domains will be in line with this expectation, but nevertheless there is some amount of excitement.

So, Maureen, can I ask you to introduce yourself?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Are we still up to introductions or just because I'm late? So sorry I'm late. This is Maureen Hilyard. I'm the ALAC chair and very eager, active participant in the Asia Pacific Regional At-Large Organization, I hope.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And may I point out [inaudible] the ALAC chairs, so far you're the fourth, right?

SATISH BABU: Probably fifth or sixth.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Five or six? [inaudible] APRALO is very well represented.

SATISH BABU: That's quite right. We are, of course, very lucky to have Maureen as the ALAC chair. Before we move on, I would like to ask if there are any questions, observations, or comments about the policy matters just discussed or not discussed. Yes, Justine, please?

JUSTINE CHEW: Sorry. I'd just like to add to what I said before. In terms of the subsequent procedures, the topics that APRALO will probably be interested in are things like what Satish has mentioned, internationalized domain names, universal acceptance. Also, applicant support program, community [priority] evaluation, names collision. So there are very many topics. The whole field is actually very large, so there's ample room for people to take interest and participate. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Justine. Those are certainly important for the region, especially the IDNs and universal acceptance plus the CP and the community support. I think these are important for us. Any other comments? Not seeing any. You have anything to add, Siva? No? Okay.

We will now move on to the next item, which is the At-Large review implementation plan. And Maureen is going to update us about the status of this very important item which is currently in progress. So over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, very briefly, looking at the At-Large review which of course started in 2016, that's when we actually first had our first introduction to the review team asking [inaudible] questions followed by several reports that were produced by ourselves and to the board. And of course it wasn't until January of this year, 2019, so way down the track that we finally got permission to implement a plan that we'd put together to improve what was seen to be – the eight improvements that were endorsed by the board were of 16 items that were addressed, identified by the review team.

And there was a wide range of issues, but the eight that we have actually been left with are things that we feel are achievable. They're actually relevant to what we want to do, and they will

produce improvements which we think will add value to the work of At-Large.

The first one is, of course, the quality and quantity of ALAC advice. That's going to be led by Jonathan Zuck who is, of course, the head of our Consolidated Policy Working Group. Unfortunately, he's not from APRALO. But we do have someone who is working within that – well, we actually have several people working within the Consolidated Policy Working Group very actively and very much engaged in policy work which is really a credit to APRALO that we have people of their caliber working for us. I'm referring, of course, to Justine who has had very much a penholder role and has done some superb work. And we have Holly who has been involved in the production of a lot of ALAC advice and public comment statements.

But Jonathan is in charge, and what we're actually asking for as I go through this list and just in case there's anything that you are interested in and want to join in to, is that we need working groups to actually make sure that what we promised the board that we would do to improve the system within At-Large will actually be done. And, of course, I'd like to see APRALO really featuring within those lists within the working groups.

So there's definitely, I mean, that's going to be one of our priority ones anyway to do with ALAC advice and work of the CPWG. The

second issue is of real concern to us and that is the barriers to individual participation. It's okay to say that we want to enhance the quality of ALAC advice across At-Large, but we do appreciate that the reasons why there isn't probably as much input into the advice is because there are very clearly some identified barriers to participation. And we need to work on these and try and see what we can do to remove those barriers and to make participation a lot more accessible to make participation an activity that's a lot more accessible for our members. I will be working on that one with Alan Greenberg who is the former chair, of course, and very much interested in that sort of area.

We've actually got two items that are related to the ICANN org staff who work with us. Heidi will be in charge of both of those areas. One is to do with staff support for the policy advice activities that ALAC is involved in. One of the things that we've often asked for is for staff to provide us with a little bit more support with regards to decisions that are made within At-Large so that we're actually keeping a list of decisions as well as action items and that there's actually more support with regards to writing the actual documents and forwarding them and making sure that they meet the expectations of the eventual owners of that particular advice.

What has actually happened is that we've been very glad to be able to have the services of one of the staff, and she's doing a

great job. She gathers the statements and finesses them so that they are really good quality statements that actually get forwarded. And we've had some really good comments about the type of information that's actually being forwarded, especially to the board. And the other one is social media. We do have a social media working group, and the staff will actually also have some input into that work.

One section that is probably in my domain is the work of the ALAC and of the At-Large Leadership Team. I've already redeveloped the way that At-Large works just an organizational plan so that things are hopefully a little bit more transparent, a little more clear about what people do. And also so that working groups, there are less working groups, they're more focused, they have strategic plans, there's a definite direction as to what they do and how they contribute to the work of At-Large. So that's another group as well.

RALO participation in regional events is, of course, something that is going to be particularly pertinent to APRALO. So I'm expecting that's probably where a lot of our people will be joining into. And the last of the eight is metrics. Everything we do is going to have some sort of metric value added to it because we'd like to produce a report at the end of the year that actually says that we're actually meeting the needs of our – we're meeting the goals and objectives as we are perceived to be adding value to ICANN

and that we want to be able to give data and statistics that state this is how we're doing it and what value it adds.

So hopefully all these things all together are going to make At-Large look good in our ICANN community but looking good because we're actually being effective. And I'd like to see APRALO contributing to that. The end. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you very much, Maureen. So as you can see, this is a very busy time for At-Large because this is an extremely important activity that's going on and we have another important milestone coming up with the ATLAS III which is going to be end of this year at Montreal. These are all very important initiatives and I hope our community finds the time to join many of these working groups.

Moving on, the next item is the invited updates. Now we have to do a little bit of shuffling of the agenda items. Both Jia-Rong and Leon are caught up in other meetings. They are speaking, but they will be here shortly. So I am taking the liberty to swap the Number 6 and Number 5 agendas. So we will now move on to the APRALO updates, and we'll revert to the item Number 5 after Leon joins us.

So on APRALO updates we have two items. The first is the outreach activities at Kobe, which Ali is going to talk to us about. Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL:

Thank you, Satish. I will take this opportunity to thank everyone who worked with us in the first stage of the planning and then actioning all what we have planned for. There were a number of activities that we had a plan for before coming to Kobe, and it took us maybe since last December and we were in a planning of what to do when we are coming to Kobe. So those activities were, first of all, a pre-meeting to the Kobe meeting. I will take this again just to thank the GSE of APAC Hub and the partners who work with us, .asia and maybe some others, because without them and without their support we would not be able to achieve all of the planned activities that we have done.

The first one was the hosting students. This has been done on Saturday which is the first day of the week of the ICANN meeting. There was an academy which has been hosted by .asia and I guess there are some other partners with them. Students were there for a day, and after that there was a coordination program with the GSE for a mentorship. So we have eight students from different Japanese universities, and we are taking that lead, myself and my colleague Lianna, to mentor them. Some of them are here now in

this meeting with us as well. This is going in progress. We have until tomorrow or even Friday up to the time that they are staying here in the meeting. This is a great initiative. They are taking the lead from one meeting to another. We are finding their interests, and we are guiding them to the right place that they find what they are looking for.

We have a meeting with the ISOC Japan leadership also to discuss the possible coordination and collaboration with them with the GSE team as well. We planned as well for the booth, and the booth is just down one level from here close to the ICANN booth. We have a table for APRALO, and we have brochures as well in Japanese for those who are interested to know more about the At-Large.

And the last one was the networking session which is the social part of it. I guess most of you have attended it last night. It's all about getting to know each other there which helps further collaboration together. With that, I'm done, Satish. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you very much, Ali. As Ali mentioned, we have had an array of events here in Kobe. I would also like to mention a session that we had yesterday where the regional partners also joined us. For us in Asia Pacific, regional partners would mean APNIC, APTLD, of course our Singapore ICANN office which is led by Jia-Rong, and

.asia are our local regional partners. So we had an interesting discussion about planning for our next General Assembly. The last one we did was in Abu Dhabi in 2018. Here is Jia-Rong, just as we mentioned his name. Welcome. Please come up to the stage and take a seat.

Yes, so this agenda item is about APRALO hot topics. Now since we have a bit of a technology challenge here in showing you the document, I'm going to stick these items – there are five of them – I'm going to put it up in the chat so that you can see what these are. APRALO had done a survey in December to identify from the community what are the policy priorities for the region. The survey also covered besides policy what are the capacity building requirements, what are some of the non-ICANN remit areas that they were interested in, etc.

But the central reason for the survey was to identify policy hot topics, and we have identified after the survey the following topics. The first in terms of the maximum number of people voting as ranking this item as high was DNSSEC.

Oh, the document is there, so thanks, Yesim, for that timely intervention in bringing up this document. Can you go to the next page?

Yeah, so you have there the top items. Competition, consumer trust, and customer choice; geographic names; DNSSEC and DNS

security. In fact, we just had a meeting with the ICANN CEO who was telling us about a new wave of DNS attacks that are happening which everybody is viewing with a lot of concern as to if it can [destabilize]. Now this wave is actually not the usual attacks. This seems to be a little more serious and arising more concern. So this is certainly an area that we have to think about. ICANN's accountability and transparency; and an item that we mentioned earlier, internationalized domain names; and universal acceptance.

So these have been the top ranked items that have been identified. Now what are we're going to do with these items? Just like APRALO, the other RALOs also have identified their priority list for their region. And this is going to feed into a consolidated document which then will be followed by an exercise that Maureen is going to do to just identify from this consolidated list whatever ALAC level priority it is. So this is the process from now. So we have prepared this document. It will be shortly available on the website.

And the other items which I'm not going to read out everything but, for instance, capacity building. What are the requirements of the APRALO community in capacity building? Those are listed there. And then we have the broader areas which are privacy, data protection, surveillance, censorship, diversity, human rights. So these have been identified as the broader areas which

are not strictly speaking within the ICANN remit, but this is what the community had to say. And then three top ranked items which are emerging technologies, IoT, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and blockchain.

So this document will be available on the website. And in case there are any comments or questions, the floor is open. Great. So we will then move on.

Now that Jia-Rong and Maureen are both here, we will take up the previous item on the agenda. Can we have the agenda back? This is invited presentations. So I would like to welcome Jia-Rong who is our GSE regional vice president and with whom we have an excellent relationship not just Jia-Rong, the whole team that he's got under him. And we're very happy to welcome Jia-Rong to our meeting. So, Jia-Rong, please go ahead. You have seven minutes.

JIA-RONG LOW:

Thank you. I hope not to take seven minutes, and I apologize for being late. The meeting invite I got said Topaz room so I was there. And then from there I was told I'm in the wrong room, so I had to make my way here.

So anyway, coming back to updates from me, just for APRALO, as Satish mentioned, we have a very close working relationship. At a high level right from the start we would have a collaborative

approach from the beginning. So, for example, when we are working on the strategy outreach plan, I would have conversations and calls with the APRALO leadership team and we would jointly identify what are our common goals and how can we collaborate on some key activities. And this ties into the update.

For example, when we worked on the draft, in it we committed to outreach for the Kobe meeting to go to Vietnam and to go to Myanmar. Now for Vietnam and Myanmar, we agreed that we'd try to go to places where there are no At-Large structures. So that's the common goal we identified. And my team will support the APRALO leadership team in leveraging our network and bringing the APRALO leadership team delegation or a representative to go and meet key stakeholders there to establish a relationship first with the view to identify whether there could be any potential ALS members going forward.

So that's still a work in progress. Satish had gone to Vietnam, and we are working on a program for Lianna to go to Myanmar later part of, in the subsequent months. So it's very positive, and we will continue to update this group.

Coming back to Kobe, for example, I tried to work with LinkedIn very closely to work with ISOC Japan to try to have outreach with the end users here in Japan. But unfortunately, ISOC Japan itself

had some restructuring and they weren't ready to be able to do that. So what we did instead was to have a meeting between ISOC Japan as well as APRALO leadership team together here in Kobe. We had a meeting on Sunday to talk about how can we collaborate. Share experiences, and discuss how can we collaborate going forward.

ISOC Japan tends to be very focused on the more technical group. They focus more on the IETF readouts, but they don't really focus much on the end user broader Internet governance discussions. So that's where Ali and Lianna, they could share their experience. And we asked ISOC Japan to think about whether they want to expand their membership base in that way. So that's another area that we worked on.

And also here in Kobe, Ali and Lianna have volunteered to be mentors for a number of students who participated in a pre-program that's led by .asia, Edmon and his team. And a number of them are sitting there. So I don't think I should steal Ali's thunder. I'll let him talk about it, but it's very fun if you are – already did it? Ah, okay, I'm sorry. So it's very fun and if you're on Twitter and all that you would have seen some of the activities they had. And the whole idea was to give the participants an immersive experience. So it's not just outreach like I come and tell you about ICANN and APRALO, that's it. But they actually touch

us and know how everything works. They touch the leaders here in the community. And that's the whole idea.

So the approach we have undertaken from the start which is to have a collaborative approach identifying joint common goals and going ahead to implement them has been great. Now I think what Satish just showed, the survey results, gives us another key point. Another key point of reference for us to identify common goals going forward as well.

For example, the area of capacity building for contributing to policy development drafts and comments. Those are areas that actually we could from staff also help to see how we can work together with you to organize something like that. That can definitely be done.

So I hope that we will continue to work very closely as usual. And I think that we clearly have become a model for other regions to reference as well. And going forward with that as a reference, the survey results as a reference, I think we can do even more than what we have currently. So I look forward to further working closely with everybody here. Thank you very much.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much, Jia-Rong. Indeed, we think that this has been an extremely productive relationship, and we hope that it

continues into the future and we're able to pick out certain areas where we can closely interact. Jia-Rong mentioned the visits to some of the underserved regions or countries. We have a few. We have taken up one. We're going to the next one. There are still a few left. So that is another activity which can continue. Of course, the policy helping will be immensely useful for all of us, so that's something that we can take up as well.

Before I proceed to the next, that's Maureen coming up, I would also like to mention that we also, since we are a very big region, we have other GSE people also covering us. Save is right here. There is Baher who is also looking [out from] Middle East. And we have also Natalia who is in Russia, but strangely enough they're our neighbors. So there are occasions where like, for example, the regional IGF coming up in Vladivostok, Russia, it is Asia Pacific regional IGF but it's happening in Russia. So for that reason, we will have [inaudible] to work the Russian GSE people. So that is our region's very special nature.

So are there any questions or comments for Jia-Rong? If not, we'll move on to Maureen. All right, not seeing any questions, let's move on to the ALAC update. Maureen wearing her other hat. Over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. I'm just wondering whether Yesim is able to put up the organogram which could help to – oh, there it is. Pretty pictures. Okay, this is the organogram which is basically what I worked on to try and get some understanding for myself as well as others about how it is that At-Large is actually organized and who does what and how it fits within the structure.

Of course, the top level here are the 15 members of the ALAC. Of course, you will have all read the brochures. The 15 members are three from each region. Two are elected by the members of the regional At-Large organization and one is appointed by the NomCom.

So you've got the 15 members and they're sort of divided. I've got four at the end at the righthand side there. They're actually the senior members, sort of like the leadership team of the ALAC. Then we come down to the level of – it's not a decision-making team – but it's the leadership team and it incorporates the RALO leaders, the ALAC leadership team, and the group down the left hand side who are the liaisons.

Now liaisons are very important to At-Large because they bring us information from the groups that they're actually liaising with. The GNSO, the ccNSO, the GAC, and the SSAC all have liaisons because they're all important groups that we actually need to work and learn more about how they actually operate in order for

At-Large to be able to comment on the policy for the SOs, ccNSO and GNSO in particular.

The policy documents that we actually have to comment on come from those organizations. The SSAC, of course, is the Security and Stability Advisory Committee and, of course, the Government Advisory Committee (GAC) which we've just had a meeting just a few hours ago. And then, of course, we have past chairs Alan and Olivier. And Cheryl was also a past chair, but she has a liaison role anyway.

But that group, barring the regional chairs, the At-Large Leadership Team and liaisons used to be the group that discussed things that were taken for the decisions to be made by the ALAC. The ALAC is the decision-making level. The blue bit that I've got there is the level that discusses issues to take decisions to the ALAC.

But one of the things that, one of the additions that I made and which has made it the ALT+ team for us is that the regional chairs were not included before into the leadership team. Which I felt having spent most of my life here within the region and thinking, well, why don't they have more of a say? Because especially as the RALO chairs bring the voices of the members of the regions to this central body so that their voices are heard within At-Large itself. So I thought that was really important that we included

them. Of course, they're not being very vocal at the moment. I'm sure as we move on, they'll probably take over. But it's good to have them in the team. We meet as a leadership team before the meetings that we have with At-Large as the ALAC.

Of course, down at the bottom level of this particular chart are the workers. And the workers are the members. The workers are grouped into the three areas which are the responsibility of the ALAC, the responsibility of At-Large. The key one is the one that's in the middle, the Consolidated Policy Working Group. Policy is our purpose, supporting policy development in the SOs as well as producing policy advice for the board. That's what we do.

That's where outreach and engagement encourages people to participate in the policy area. We want to grow understanding of the policy issues. All that kind of stuff happens in outreach and engagement. The whole focus is going into Consolidated Policy Working Group.

Organizational which is my area is the area that looks at things like the implementation plan. How do we make At-Large more efficient, more effective, running smoothly? So that everything is working properly so that the policy actually takes place and that we're delivering these public comments and anything else that is actually being requested by the ICANN community.

So really, this is it. This is what At-Large is. This is what we do. This is how we're organized. This is how we coordinate our work. The work is done, for example, with the policy working group they develop a statement. They get a penholder who after hearing the discussions gets all the information that comes from the voices, puts it together into a statement. It goes through the process. It goes up to At-Large. They say, yep, we like that. They vote on it, and it goes forward. It goes to wherever it's supposed to go to within ICANN.

So I think that one of the things that – this is At-Large, but one of the things that's really, really important is Jia-Rong's group, the Global Stakeholder Engagement group. Because outreach and engagement doesn't happen effectively unless they're working with the teams. And for APRALO, of course, as just mentioned, Jia-Rong and there's other people within our region who are all working to support the work that our outreach and engagement team will do.

But as well as that, and we had a session yesterday or day before yesterday – the whole week's merging into one day – but we had a regional partners session. And that was really interesting because not only do we rely on the coordination of our strategic plans and that with the help of the Global Stakeholder Engagement team, but we have regional partners. And that's the RIRs, the – what is that name? The Regional Internet Registries.

The APNIC I know. APNIC is ours. At APNIC we have .asia here who are fantastic partners to work with and APTLD, of course. They are our MoU partners, but they offer opportunities for members to participate. They run events that we can attend. With the generosity of our partners, they offer fellowships which our members have taken advantage of as well. So we wouldn't be able to do our work if we didn't have these valuable organizations working within our region. It all helps to make At-Large work effectively, the work that we're doing more effective. And for me as the ALAC chair, this is my vision of how I see At-Large working effectively. And we're fine tuning the ways in which we do things, but I'm really pleased with the way things are going. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much, Maureen. We have Leon with us exactly on time. Welcome, Leon. This particular chart, the organogram that Maureen has prepared, was an initial innovation and something that has helped us to understand easily the structure of each person in the team and where we fit into the larger structure. So it has been immensely useful.

So now we have the At-Large board member Leon Sanchez with us. And Leon is going to talk to us about the messages for all of us from the board and for the region. Over to you, Leon.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Satish. First of all, thank you for having me here again. It's always a pleasure to be back home, as I say. APRALO has been key to the development of the At-Large community and the ALAC. You have set the standard in many ways, and you keep doing so. And I think that all of us should look upon APRALO to follow your lead in many things. So I am grateful for the work that you do. Yes, that is really good.

This has been so far a hectic meeting, right? We've seen many activities going on, and I'd like to update you in a couple of things, especially in the strategic plan that the board is continuing to build with the community's input. I think it is of the essence that the APRALO community provides input to this strategic plan as, of course, we know that, what is it? At least half of the world's end users are in Asia now?

SATISH BABU: More than half.

LEON SANCHEZ: Or more than half maybe. So I think it is key that we get the input from that vibrant community and that very important part of our community.

So as you might recall, this strategic plan is thought for the next five years, that is 2021-2026. And we are aiming to finalize this

strategic plan by June/July this year. So it is a good time for you to provide input. After we finish the strategic plan, there will come a chance to design the operating plan. And the operating plan will, of course, provide – so the strategic plan is what we want to do and the operating plan is how we are going to do it and with which resources we are going to do it. So both parts of the process are very important for the organization and for the community, so I definitely encourage you to provide your input and your feedback on the different topics that are built into the strategic plan.

Just to remind some, we are focusing ourselves in improving the security, stability, and resiliency of the domain name system. We are focusing also in addressing the geopolitical issues that we are seeing rising in the Internet governance arena. We are focusing also in having a financially sustainable organization to the future. We are also focusing or asking input in the evolution of the multistakeholder governance model that we hold within ICANN. And of course, the security matters that we see are challenging the domain name system and the unique identifiers and the evolution of these unique identifiers going forward.

These five topics are the axis through which the strategic plan is being designed. One of them is, as I said, the geopolitical challenges and issues that we face as an organization and as a community. Under this strategic objective what we are trying to

strategize on is to build better and wider alliances throughout the Internet governance ecosystem. But not only within the traditional structures, arenas, and fora in which the Internet governance discussion have been happening through these many years but also on a wider arena. Because we recognize that there are many things happening outside the traditional Internet governance ecosystem that are actually impacting what we are doing within ICANN.

One example of it would, we just lived through it, was GDPR as you may well be aware. And we are also aware that, as some comments received from some ccTLDs and the ccNSO stated, many things or most things that affect or that have impacted the way we do things do not start globally. They begin at a local level. So this means that we need to build alliances with local actors. So the phrase of “act local but think global” I think it actually comes to life when we try to address these issues. So for this, of course, APRALO and the rest of the RALOs are key in building or helping us build these alliances.

We are also trying to map the different actors that we should be sitting at the table with, the different actors that we should be speaking to, and the different actors that we should be interacting with in order to, as I said, address the challenges that we see emerging in this new geopolitical arena. So I encourage you to provide us with your feedback.

The last topic that I would like to update you on is the action that the board recently took on the CCT Review Team. You may have seen, it's already published, the resolution taking action by the board on the CCT Review Team recommendations. Unfortunately, the way in which we communicated this resolution wasn't the most accurate. There have been many concerns raised by different parts of the community. We are listening to you. We are trying to clarify the different questions that have been raised.

But essentially, what we did is to take action on each of the recommendations by either instructing the organization to implement them, by passing on these recommendations to what we thought was the adequate body within ICANN to take action on those recommendations, and others to be put in standby until some of the interdependent processes are duly taken or ended by the community, such as the EPDP as you well know. And these are the three buckets in which we placed each of the recommendations of the CCT Review Team.

Some have told us, okay, but you guys didn't say whether you approved or not those recommendations that you passed on to the GNSO to take further action, for example. Well, the reply to that, the answer to that is, yes, we did approve the recommendations but we are also aware that it falls out of the board's capacities and empowerment to take action or to take

further action on those recommendations. So there are many recommendations that imply building new policy and, of course, the board can't build policy. This is up to the community, the GNSO to build these policies because otherwise we would be making top-down policies which is, of course, not what we do in ICANN.

So I also invite you to take a look at the scorecard that is attached to the reply that the board sent to the co-chairs of the CCT Review Team and the resolution that goes with it. And of course, if you have any further questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. So thank you very much, Satish, Ali, Lianna, Holly, Maureen, and everyone in APRALO for having me here again. Thank you very much.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much, Leon. We appreciate the fact that you have come here in the middle of your very busy schedule and thank you for that. And we also note that no matter what time our monthly call is, Leon always appears there. So we appreciate that fact also, particularly keeping in mind that the time zone must be quite [weird] for him. So thank you very much for your active participation in our calls and our activities.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much to you, Satish. As I promised when I was running the first time to be a board member appointed by the At-Large organization, I promised to be in touch. I promised to stay close. I promised to attend most of the calls if not all. And so far, I think I have kept my word. So I thank you for your support.

SATISH BABU: Thank you very much, Leon. Now are there any questions for Leon on any of the topics that he talked to us on? Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG: Actually, bringing up something that was relevant to a few of the things. I waited to the end to bring this up. It's my favorite topic and a pet project from our CEO mentioning about IDNs. I just want to note that – and, Maureen, you had a very nice map of ALAC which is actually very useful – I observed that the IDN working group wasn't part of that. I understand that it's somewhat dormant at this particular point. But I think with the strategic plan having IDN placed at a higher level and also universal acceptance, maybe it's time to get this started again. I understand [inaudible] at the board IDN working group, it's now called IDN/UA working group, and I know that the GSE team also has a lot of work on IDN/UA. So I guess this might be a time to start up that group again so that the coordination – we from At-Large could

contribute to those activities and also help direct those activities in the regions of the respective ALSes.

That is one thing, and the other thing is that with the added support from board and from staff, staff actually has been working very hard, [inaudible] and the team, very hard on a number of IDN issues. It's good on one hand. It also means that a lot of documents are created and put out for public comments and we sometimes miss them. I think that's why having – I guess I won't repeat some of the issues I see or I missed previously on IDN issues here – but it is probably time I guess as a suggestion to get that started up again. Thanks. And maybe change the name also to the one we [in vogue] which is IDN/UA.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much, Edmon. In fact, just before Kobe we had a discussion on the IDN working group. At least one person wrote into the group and said, can we start discussing the UASG issues or UAI issues here? And we were open to that. The one clarification that we wanted was that the UASG said that we will not discuss end user issues here. So we said in that case you should clarify because there is obviously an end user component for the UAI, and you can't keep out end users out of the discussions.

So the message that we got that, okay, we will focus on the technology side, but we may work with organizations such as ALAC, At-Large in order to kind of reach out through our network to the communities. So I think we had a consensus that we will revitalize the IDN/UA working group. But it is, of course, up to Maureen to authorize that whole process now that we have a fresh push from Kobe meeting on all these activities.

Yes, Jia-Rong, please go ahead.

JIA-RONG LOW:

Thank you. I think definitely there is an end user element to this. In fact, in a number of conversations I've had in relation to IDN and UA, specifically on the UA side, there's this chicken and egg issue that's always been debated that the software providers are saying my customers never ask me for it, so I don't want it. Then the key thing then is end users have no idea that there is such a thing available in the first place, so therefore there's no demand. So which is which, right? That's really the key challenge, and that's why the end user element is so important.

As for how discussions like that should happen here, [as staff] I have no comments. But I think that in terms of adding this topic as part of our outreach is something that's definitely doable. I think that's something that since we're already going to work on doing outreach activities, if we talk about APRALO in ICANN, we

should add IDN and UA as one topic that is especially close to our hearts from this region. I think that definitely can be done. And I'm happy to help with that. But of course, the subject matter experts from [there] is way better across the room [inaudible] Edmon's way better.

We could think about also from this team perhaps we could start up with some basic, maybe Edmon can teach us some talking points from this group, help to build a stronger base. Then from there when they go and do and some outreach activities, everyone can be a spokesperson. That could be something [we] want to focus on. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Jia-Rong. I think that is a very valid point. In fact, two things I should point out. One is that today at 5:00-6:30 we have a policy workshop on UAI, universal acceptance. And one of the proposals is that in the pipeline for additional budget requests is from Armenia on IDNs and UA again. So we are actually working on this. But as Edmon points out, the working group itself needs to be more active and therefore [be able to restart] some of those processes. Yes?

EDMON CHUNG: Just quickly, I agree very much with you, Satish. And I think Jia-Rong added on to it. I think there's definitely an end user element for UA. The UASG specifically decided to prioritize other communities first, but that doesn't mean – I don't think the ICANN board IDN/UA or the ICANN staff work is limited to that particular kind of scope. So this is the right place to talk about it I think.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Edmon. I think that's perfectly correct. It's up to us to preemptively seize the opportunity and start work on it. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm just wondering whether is it predominantly APRALO? This issue? Whether it's – just trying to see how it fits in with our outreach and engagement and [if we were good to go ALAC].

EDMON CHUNG: Just quickly responding, I don't think it's only APRALO. However, I guess traditionally and realistically APRALO does a little more because we have more languages affected. EURALO is also very active because of all the different scripts that are being used there. So I believe the IDN working group right now is an ALAC/At-Large, not an APRALO group. So reactivating or revitalizing that would be an ALAC/At-Large as a whole thing.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Edmon. I think the group is not dismantled or anything. The list is live. There are occasional postings on it. And the current request has come from Europe actually about revitalizing it. So I think it's pretty much on, but activities have to step up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: And I must admit that whenever an IDN issue comes up, you guys are the first ones to get contacted anyway. So it means that it must be still active.

SATISH BABU: That was a very productive discussion as far as the IDNs were concerned. It's an important topic for our region and for APRALO as well.

Now we have the ALS of the month. Lianna, can you update us on the status?

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Thank you, Satish. For all those who are participating [inaudible] monthly calls for the first time as this is an opportunity to represent you, we do encourage the participation of our ALSes to represent the activities. We do that on our monthly newsletters. We give them a [slot] of the activities of the month, and we also

do a presentation of one of our ALSes, of the activities. For this time, we do have a presentation from ISOC Yemen. I would like to thank [to] Amal for being with us on this challenging time. She joined us at 7:00 AM. Thanks to her for her participation.

But I wanted to say also that we equally have a challenge here as probably many of you have felt. There was an earthquake right when we started [our meeting]. That was another challenge we haven't thought of.

So with this anyway, I would like to give the floor to Amal to make the presentation. And please, we are running out of time. Amal, will you please keep it short, like in five minutes, the presentation? Thank you.

AMAL AL-SAQQAF: [Hello], everyone. Can you hear me?

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Yes. Please go ahead.

AMAL AL-SAQQAF: Okay. Thank you for this opportunity. Can you please go back for the slides from the first slide? Thanks for this opportunity to represent ISOC Yemen ALS. It is a chapter of Internet Society founded in August 2013 and accredited as an ALS in 2014. It has

over 212 members. It aims to empower citizens of Yemen to access the Internet [inaudible] language and to address the issues related to [inaudible], security, and raising awareness about Internet benefits and challenges. Next slide, please.

During [the years] ISOC Yemen has implemented many projects and workshops and other [inaudible] like Internet @ My School project and also e-commerce projects and workshops about children’s safety online. [inaudible] different classes of Yemen society from academics, lawyers, judges, and businessmen.

It also implemented many workshops related to Internet technology security and blockchain. Besides many Internet governance some workshops and one forum that [inaudible] has represented ICANN in person once in 2013 and [inaudible] and also a representative from RIPE NCC. We have also implemented some seminars and intercommunity hubs in 2017. We [try to participate in international] events like ISOC Internet governance school and [inaudible] and Internet governance forums. Next slide, please.

For planned activities, there [are just so many planned] activities. We are planning to implement a hackathon for educational development applications and also for cybersecurity workshops and to hold workshops about Internet of Things. We got an idea

of implementing a school of Internet governance on the local level. Next slide.

Again this is the contacts links and the website [inaudible] where we post our activities and photos and our supporters like [inaudible] and ISOC.

Again thank you for this opportunity, and [have a nice day].

LIANNA GALSTYAN:

Thank you very much, Amal. This is very interesting to see the activities that you're doing in the Internet Society of Yemen. I would encourage all other ALSes of APRALO to make a presentation on our [February] calls and stay engaged with us. With this, thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much, Lianna. Thank you very much, Amal, for joining us. It must have been very challenging for you, and we appreciate the fact that you were able to join us and make this presentation.

The NomCom update, [Nadira] is not able to join us because she is in the middle of a very busy, unexpected kind of an engagement right here in one of the rooms here. So since the NomCom has had public meetings here in Kobe, I think we can skip this and move

on to the any other business. I have two requests here, and I can only give one minute each to both. First is from Lianna. Second is from Gunela on an announcement. Please go ahead.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Thank you, Satish. I just wanted to make an announcement about the IGF that will happen this year in Berlin. There is still an opportunity for submitting the workshop, and it is available until 12 April. So please consider it, and go to the website of intgovforum.org. All the information is there, and submit your workshop. We need the Asia Pacific region’s voice to be heard on the IGF level as well. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thanks very much, Lianna. Over to you, Gunela.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: I’m going to just mention about web accessibility for people with disability. Good news is that the At-Large website according to automated trackers is accessible. Not all the ICANN websites are. Even better news is – and this is hot off the press in the last couple of days – is that the domain name commission in New Zealand is going to do an awareness campaign about web accessibility in the country. It’s very exciting because I think this is the first time

this has happened in any CC, and it's happening in our region.
Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Gunela, for the update. We have a question from the floor. Yeah, Mili, please go ahead.

MILI SEMLANI: Hi. Actually, sorry. I don't have questions. Just a few comments. I'm Mili, an APRALO member.

SATISH BABU: Mili, please make it just one minute. We don't have time.

MILI SEMLANI: Yeah. The first one on policy. I think as Jia-Rong mentioned about the policy writing course. NCUC did one policy writing course in one of the meetings. I was hoping if we could tap into the same resource and use that for Asia members. As somebody just stepping into policy process, I think it would be really helpful.

On outreach, I was thinking if it's something we could explore at especially the Asia ICANN meetings, there are lots of ALSes from the same place or region and there are lots of young Fellows around. So if APRALO mentors or folks can just find a way to connect the newer, younger people or the newcomers from the

region to any of these existing ALSes they're a part of them or if any of them align with their interests. So it's sort of an easier onboarding process before they just either get on to individual – they might just want to become a part of that ALS.

Third one, like the ALS of the month, I was thinking if it's possible to extend the scope to individual members as well because sometimes they could be doing activities in individual capacity not under the purview of the ALSes they may be part of, especially not all activities may be part of the ISOC chapters in the region or any other ALS.

So those were the few little points. And on even the outreach to places where we don't have ALSes. It's been my observation, especially with India, usually at these places of course the first point of contact would be the ISOC chapters and I'm guessing the GSE in their own network. But I think law schools or policy schools or [find the] people where we think more civil society oriented crowd could be attracted would be a good place to get to because there are lots of newcomers or people who have never heard about it but might want to get interested in onboarding to these kinds of processes. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much for all those suggestions. We will note them. And I also would like to say that on the issue of the academic

institutions, we had a very interesting debate in At-Large about how better to link with them that is going on. The individual members, I'll hand it over to Lianna for action. I don't think there's any real problem, but it's Lianna's decision to go ahead with that.

And noting that we are two minutes [above] the time limit and apologizing for it, are there any other burning questions or comments? If not, I'd like to thank all the participants who have come here. The staff, Silvia and Yesim, for having organized this successfully under very challenging circumstances. And every else who has supported this. And my colleagues on the table. And all the remote participants who have joined today, I'd like to thank all of them. And this meeting is now closed.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]