
LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Liman is here. Patrick is not.

BRAD VERD: Thank you. RIPE NCC?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Kaveh is here.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Kaveh. UMD?

KARL REUSS: Karl is here.

BRAD VERD: Hey, Karl. USC? They were here. They're not here. Alright. Let's remove their names until they arrive. ARL?

KEN RENARD: Ken is here.

BRAD VERD: Hi, Ken. DoD?

RYAN STEPHENSON: Ryan Stephenson.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Ryan. Verisign, myself is here. Matt is not. I don't believe Matt is online. Then, WIDE?

HIRO HOTTA: Hiro is here.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Hiro. Our liaisons, ICANN to the Board, Kaveh already made his presence known. CSC, Liman has made his presence known. RZERC, I have made my presence known. SSAC, is Russ here? Russ is not in the room. I don't see him in Adobe. IAB? Daniel is here, he's in the room. IANA functions operator? Naela, there you are. Hello. Naela is here. And then the Root Zone Maintainer?

DUANE WESSELS: Duane is here.

BRAD VERD: Duane is here. Great. Do we have quorum? Great. So, we have quorum. Let's review the agenda. So, we'll go through our normal administration, approve the minutes. We have a concept paper update from Kaveh that will probably go fairly quickly, given that we've all been knee deep in it. We have some work items. We'll talk through 000 and timeline to implementation of those changes. We'll review the work plan. Both 000 and the work plan we will vote on and then we have updates from the Metrics Work Party, Service Coverage Work Party, and the Resolver Behavior Work Party. Again, those will probably go quickly

since we've spent time on it this week. We will give a recap of the workshop planning and what things look like. Then we'll do our updates from the chairs and liaisons.

We've added one in here. We have our representative from the SSR-2 team who will give an update. We appreciate his coming to share with us. We also have our NomCom representative. We'll get an update from ... No? No report? I'm sorry. NomCom came and talked to us yesterday. That's the update right now.

Then, Suzanne Woolf will give her update on the IANA review if Suzanne is here. Oh, and Wes has walked into the room, so please add his name to the attendance.

DUANE WESSELS: Russ is on his way, by the way.

BRAD VERD: Great. Alright. So, with that, let's get started with administration, minutes. Handing this over to Steve. Sorry, is there any other business that needs to be added to the agenda? No? Great. Okay, Steve. Minutes from last meeting, please.

STEVE SHENG: Thank you, Brad. Mario produced the minutes for the February 5th teleconference that has been circulated to the RSSAC a few weeks before this meeting. All the action items from the last teleconference

has been completed. So, you have the Google Doc link. You can click on it and review it yourself. Thanks.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Steve. Any discussion around the minutes? Is there a motion to approve the minutes?

WES HARDAKER: I move. Wes.

BRAD VERD: Second?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Second by Liman.

BRAD VERD: Thank you. We've had a motion and a second. Is there any objection to approving the minutes as shared here? Any abstentions? Great. Minutes are approved.

Moving on. Update to the concept paper. Kaveh, do you want to share?

KAVEH RANJBAR: So, I guess we are all aligned. We had a session in the morning with the board and there's no additions from that time. Just two points. After this meeting, I guess in a few days, I will send my usual written report so you have it in your RSSAC mailbox. It's basically a wrap-up of

sessions we had this meeting with the BTC and with the board. Also, [it will be about the BTC workshops]. Those are the three things which I'll report on.

Second, just as a reminder, BTC doesn't have a meeting until early May, I think first or second of May. But the concept paper I'm sure will be discussed in the mailing list of the BTC. And just as a reminder, I already got that blanket permission from BTC that anything that's regarding RSSAC, [inaudible] concept paper or in that subject matter, if there is a discussion, I can share and I will share with RSSAC. So, as soon as I hear something, I will let you know and keep you in the loop. I hope that in May we get the concept paper approved by the BTC. That's at least the current plan.

BRAD VERD:

Thank you, Kaveh. Any questions or comments for Kaveh? Alright. Hearing none, we will move on to our work items. First on the list is 000 and the proposed changes. Carlos?

CARLOS REYES:

Thanks, Brad. Hi, everyone. The updates of 000, we discussed those on Saturday. We reviewed everything from Barcelona. I also went over the implementation plan. So, just to recap that. Once RSSAC votes, if the document is approved, it will essentially be put on hold until the bylaws are updated. So, after this, again if the document is approved, I will produce a paper for the board to review which includes a redline of the ICANN bylaws. The board will consider that. The board would then ask

the organization to begin public comment on the proposed bylaw changes. We would go through that process for 40 days. We would then prepare a report that captures any feedback from the public about these bylaw changes. The board would then consider, and if they approve the bylaw amendment, that would trigger the empowered community power to reject that bylaw change. So, that's a 21-day period. If that ends without any actions from the empowered community, then it would go into effect probably sometime November. Then, at that point, 000v4 would go into effect as well.

BRAD VERD:

Any questions or comments for Carlos? Yes, Kaveh?

KAVEH RANJBAR:

Thank you, Carlos, for that. I have one and maybe I've missed it. But do we have a summary of the changes? Especially for the board resolution, that's what we would want to see, what has changed. I haven't seen that document but maybe I've missed it.

CARLOS REYES:

I haven't produced a separate document. So, because as staff we have to produce a report on this for the board, that will happen then. Basically, obviously the chair/vice chair model. Then we made some changes earlier in Barcelona. Basically, wordsmithing. But the main structural changes, the chair/vice chair model—

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes, I understand. So, we will see that document [inaudible].

CARLOS REYES: Right. There's a formal report that comes [to the board].

KAVEH RANJBAR: Because normally behind resolutions there is this rationale and it's important that we look into that once we get [inaudible].

CARLOS REYES: Yeah. So, ICANN Legal suggested we didn't do that until it was actually approved by RSSAC.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Fair.

BRAD VERD: Any questions around the content changes of 000 as we've talked through here and as presented by Carlos? I see none in Adobe. I see none in the room. Is there a motion to approve 000 version 4 as presented? Ryan?

RYAN STEPHENSON: I'd like to make a motion to approve 000 as presented.

BRAD VERD: Thank you. Is there a second?

WES HARDAKER: Second, Wes.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Wes. Are there any objections in the realm to approve 000 as presented? Are there any abstention? Great. Carries. 000 is passed and we will begin the dialogue going forward. Carlos?

CARLOS REYES: Kaveh, the report that we prepared for you, can that be shared with RSSAC?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Definitely, yes.

BRAD VERD: Alright. Thank you. Next item is our draft work plan which we were working on prior to the review and obviously meets one of the review recommendations that we're still waiting for the final recommendations to come from the board. But this is something that we thought should be done anyway.

So, this is the work plan that we went through earlier today. Carlos, do you want to add anything?

CARLOS REYES: Nothing to add in terms of content. The plan is if RSSAC approves, we'll make this prettier and put it on the RSSAC webpage so that it's available. And as we noted on Saturday, there is a step in here for RSSAC to revisit this at least as a procedure once a year but we can update it anytime since it's a webpage.

BRAD VERD: Yeah. I would add that the goal here is not to keep this as a living document as we ebb and flow. This is not going to be perfect. This is a plan that's supposed to come out the beginning of the year. We're playing a little catch-up now. But if something big happens or dramatic, that we should change the plan, that's certainly reasonable. But this is intended as a tool so people know what's going on. Any comments, any questions, concerns? Wes?

WES HARDAKER: Yeah. One thought that just occurred to me that we didn't discuss on Saturday or whenever that was. Have we passed this by the independent review or, I don't know, somebody that triggered the fact that this was sort of desired from us to see if it's adequate?

BRAD VERD: No. We don't even know if ... We're assuming that that will be a recommendation from the OEC. We don't know. And if something comes out, we'll see if this meets their needs, and if not, then we'll make adjustments at that time.

WES HARDAKER: That's the answer I expected but had to ask, so thank you.

BRAD VERD: Any other comments or questions? I see nothing in the room. Is there a motion to approve the draft work plan as presented?

WES HARDAKER: So moved.

BRAD VERD: Is there a second?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Liman seconds.

BRAD VERD: Thank you. Is there any objections to approving the draft work plan as presented? Any abstentions? Alright. Having none, this passes. Draft work plan is approved. It will go to the next stage. Thank you.

I assume these might go quickly, but let's just try to ... I know we've all spent time on these next three topics this week, but if the shepherds can give a quick update I think it would be helpful for the people in the room or the people listening.

So, RSS Work Party update. Duane, can you share that?

DUANE WESSELS:

Sure. So, my co-chair, Russ, and I met with Steve and Mario – Andrew. Sorry, I couldn't remember. We had a little admin meeting a couple of days ago and ran through some ideas and talked about the agenda. A little bit aggressive agenda, but we think it's reasonable.

We developed a spreadsheet with some questions for the work party members to answer. That has been sent out. I haven't looked yet to see if anyone has responded to it yet, but that has been done.

We also talked about sending out a request to the root server operators asking them to tell us what sort of things they currently monitor and maybe alert on as potential input to the metrics. That has not been done, but that will be forthcoming. We also talked about getting input from SSAC on this work, so that's forthcoming as well.

We have another admin group meeting scheduled for tomorrow to finalize some of this. And then in Prague we'll have a proper work party meeting with the people who were there. Then two weeks after that, we have another meeting and then two weeks after that we're in our workshop where we'll present where we're at so far.

BRAD VERD:

Thank you, Duane. Any questions for Duane? I don't see any in Adobe. Alright, moving on. [RSS service] Work Party updates. Lars?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Thank you. As I mentioned earlier this week, this work party has not yet come anywhere. We suffer from lack of momentum or lack of interest from the caucus, so we haven't been able to identify a work party leader yet. I intend to make a last stab of that this week if I can sit down and take two breaths in a row and do a last attempt at finding a volunteer who is willing to drive the work. If that's not the case, we will have to discuss ... We will discuss it anyhow at the workshop in April, and if we're still unsuccessful in finding a work party leader, we'll have to discuss what to do with this work. I see two options. One is to drop it for lack of interest and the other one is to somehow fold it into the metrics work and see if it can fit in there.

BRAD VERD: Great. Are there any questions for Liman?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And don't forget to bring it up in Prague at the RSSAC Caucus as well.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN; Obviously. I think you're right.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you. Appreciate it.

There is a discussion on, if time allows, for RSSAC 37 follow-up, updates and thoughts. Also, looking to a tutorial on the empowered community. But those last two items are [unsure] at the moment. So, staff will produce a draft agenda for the admin committee and then for the full committee, the review. So, that's a quick update. Thanks.

BRAD VERD:

Great. Before I ask for questions, just to add one clarification. This is invite-only, just for the people listening and people who are maybe watching the recording. We just don't have the facility to accommodate everybody or anybody walking in. Any questions or comments around the workshop? Alright. Great. Thank you so much.

Now we're into our reports, co-chair reports. I'm happy to defer this to you, Fred, if you want. The only update I would share is that we met with Cherine while we were here. The only two topics we kind of talked about were RSSAC 37 and the concept paper and the second topic was kind of the governance piece that Cherine is really championing here in this meeting. There's a working session tomorrow about how to improve things. Fred, anything you want to add? Great. So, that's the update I have as a co-chair. We'll just run through the list. Kaveh, do you have anything to share on your update?

KAVEH RANJBAR:

Basically, I'm noting you, but a very quick thing is informally two days ago the board was presented with the actions for the reviews that basically [inaudible] is looking into and we have [inaudible], if I'm not

wrong, with RSSAC 41. It was our feedback about the review that we had and we had some concerns about ... We pointed out four major areas of concerns.

This is [inaudible] draft, so it hasn't yet been actioned. But the document [OEC] with Org is working on is about streamlining the reviews. At that stage, all of our concerns were accepted as real concerns and addressed amongst some others. So, I think that's good news, but we have to see. I will keep you posted when there is action on that. So, that was just a proposal from Org on streamlining the reviews.

BRAD VERD:

Great. Thank you, Kaveh. Any questions for Kaveh? Liman, can you give us any update on the CSC?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN:

Yes. The CSC postponed its ... Sorry, it moved it up in time, its monthly meeting. So, we had this meeting earlier this week here. I keep maintaining things are running along just well. I believe that's one of the best-maintained committees in this entire [inaudible]. I would like to congratulate Naela on another month with 100% meeting all the SLA requirements and they are not few and they are not a lot of flexibility in there, so this is a brilliant thing.

We are still chugging along with the process of redefining how to change the SLAs because the current – actually, I've said this many times. The current version is they are not cast in stone in the actual agreement. So, it's a long process to modify that, but it's underway and

it's chugging along. We've been over there with various timers that need to kick in and decisions to be taken but everything is on the right track.

There is also the latter part. CSC has undergone the same type of review that RSSAC has undergone. There is also good on all accounts. Minor comments, but essentially, everything is working well.

Let me see. There wasn't much more than that, I think. I'll stop there. Questions?

BRAD VERD:

Thanks. Any questions for Liman? Alright. Moving on to RZERC. Much like Liman reported, all is status quo. RZERC, there's nothing to report here. There's been no action. There's been nothing presented to RSSAC. It is just in its holding pattern of waiting for request from the community and there are none at the moment. Any questions for me?

I don't think Russ is here, so we will skip that one. Daniel, any update from the IAB? Great. Thank you. IANA functions operator. Naela?

NAELA SARRAS:

No updates. I just kind of want to share with the group. I thank you for singing our praises. We got a lot of good feedback, so thank you for your trust.

One thing I wanted to sort of maybe just plug in as a seed here. We just had a session with the ASO where we spent about ten minutes explaining the whole PTI, IANA, and what the nomenclature is and how

to call us. So, at some point, I'd like to bring maybe to this group a presentation and I'll run this by the co-chairs first and maybe [inaudible] IANA and [inaudible] PTI and how to possibly reflect that directly in documentation going forward. I mean, just revisit the documentation.

I'm bringing this up because I've heard a lot this week about PTI-like thing, so I would like to get it right.

BRAD VERD:

Yeah. I think given the analogies that keep happening and the comparisons, it seems like that would be a valuable exercise. Any other questions or thoughts? Thank you, Naela.

Security, stability, reliability, and resiliency. We have Eric Osterweil with us today. I'm sorry, did I? I'm sorry. Eric, please come up. Duane, would you like to give us an update on Root Zone Maintainer?

DUANE WESSELS:

Yeah. Nothing really to update other than just a note that one of the final steps for the KSK rollover is that the old key will be removed from the zone on March 22nd.

BRAD VERD:

Any questions for Duane? Great. Now I will turn the mic over to Eric Osterweil.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Thanks, Brad. So, it seems like everyone was going really fast before me and I have some engagement slides that may be more than we wanted to hear. So, I'm prepared to go through these at warp speed unless someone wants to slow me down.

BRAD VERD: Okay. You're [inaudible].

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Alright. Next slide, please. First of all, thanks for having me. It's been a while since I've briefed everyone here, so there may or may not be some context that I need to fill in. But the review team is cranking full steam ahead again. Next slide, please.

Real briefly, this deck contains where we are today, the work that we're doing, our current timeline, the outreach plan which we're engaging in right this second. Then there's some background at the end if we want to get into it before [inaudible]. Next, please.

So, just as a reminder, our server review is focused on fulfilling our obligations in the bylaws and the first few up here, the four are things that we're sort of required to do and the last one is one that we were empowered to maybe do.

So, basically, we need to look at whether SSR-1 was implemented. It's 28 recommendations. We then broke our work out into looking at ICANN's internal SSR posture and then, externally, the DNS SSR issues in general that are under ICANN's remit. Finally, the [May] was basically

looking at trying to add some relevance to the report nominally in the future. So, looking at things that might be on the horizon that are worth paying attention to in an SSR report. Next slide, please. I'll look for questions all the way through, so if someone wants to stop me, please do.

So, today, we've completed our review of the SSR-1 implementation recommendations. We've also completed a sort of inspection of the ICANN SSR issues and now we're basically in the stage of gathering a little bit of feedback. Certainly, we're open to feedback but we feel like we're kind of concluding the investigation phase and getting more towards the drafting of our key findings and the report itself. Next.

So, just a quick view. I think the SSR-1 recommendation speaks for itself. So, the second work stream that we broke into, like I said, the ICANN SSR issues. So, this pertained to ICANN's information and security management system, its business continuity plans, risk management, security incident management, its vetting of registry operators and services, and operating processes and compliance processes.

So, basically, we came up with a list of things that we thought ICANN Org was responsible for doing as it related to SSR and we investigated those and we did some fact-finding and some offsites and interviews. And that's something that we completed a while ago and have been tying up since we've been resumed. Next slide.

The next work stream was the DNS SSR and that pertained more to the global name space, again as it pertains to ICANN's remit. So, we looked

at issues around root zone management, the root server system (in particular, the L-root), alternate root deployment coexistence, SSR measurements, name space abuse, and software interoperability – things that I think you all probably talk about a lot. So, we’re not trying to retread anything that you guys are doing more ingested. Next slide.

So, the future challenges. This one, again, is not something that we were intending to wield a big stick over. This is just something that we thought, in the context of looking at SSR issues, that we were able to observe and cognizant of today. Was there anything that might be in the near-term horizon that was worth putting into our report? So, inside there are things that are a little bit farther afield. Coalescence of registry backend operators, sort of high-value target issues. Access to data, information, research, and important abuse attack vectors. New crypto-systems in DNSSEC. New uses of DNS. Things like is IoT picking it up and about to become a big factor in operations? Alternate naming systems – more than just alternate name spaces but the systems themselves. And root server system protections as a threat scape, top threats. Things that are sort of encroaching or things to be worried about. Then, can’t really do SSR without talking about privacy these days. So, privacy protections. Next slide.

Our current timeline is absolutely a work in progress because we revamp it every time we need to, which is often. So, by now, we were going to update our scope and our terms of reference and our work plan, outreach plan, and gathering assets and facts and then basically spend a lot of our time here both doing some drafting, some presentation, some engagement, etc. And I think we’ve done as we’re

sort of winding down the week, we're on pace to reach all these objectives.

In May, we're going to have another face-to-face meeting. Our hope is, at that point, we're assembling our draft's findings and recommendations. At ICANN 65, our hope is to have our face-to-face meeting be in Marrakech, present a draft of our findings and recommendations, do some more community engagement. I think we're well advised by recent events to be sure that we are on the same page with the people all around us, so we are very eager to do that.

Then, by August, publish a draft report for public comment for 40 days before presenting the final report, community engagement, final [inaudible] board at ICANN 66. I think this is my last substantive slide. Next slide.

Ah, no this is my last substantive slide. Like I said, we're really hoping to start putting a cherry on top and moving the whole process forward towards conclusion. But nevertheless, we are constantly open to feedback. That's one of the reasons we're coming around briefing everyone and having community sessions and whatnot.

It's still perfectly relevant to become an observer on our list if you're interested. We have a starting point to find all of our stuff on that link at the bottom there. If you need help, you're not alone. Feel free to reach out. Next slide. This is my wrap-up slide.

Background. So, the background just has a bunch more detail but I don't think it adds much unless we get into questions and comments. So, I think that's pretty much it.

BRAD VERD: Any questions for Eric?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: I understand as you have done the lion part of the fact-finding exercise, but still, how can we help you? What kind of traction would you like to see from RSSAC? [inaudible] commenting on these reports. Is there anything else we can do for you?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: No. I really appreciate that offer. I think we probably will be pinging you for some stuff, because especially you probably saw in work stream three, there's a lot of stuff that I think you all talk about and are working on, that our intention is to ingest to make sure that we have the right canonical references and we understand the service date. We've had a couple of interviews here with people like Paul Hoffman, etc. I think you're all very receptive when we ping you, so I think you probably look forward to hearing from us, but certainly if you feel like we're not asking a question or if you think we're headed in the wrong direction, we're certainly all ears, but we consider you guys a really good resource for that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I just wanted to add, because I'm the board liaison to this, [inaudible]. I follow the work. It's not easy because it's, by definition, these type of reviews which go through the whole ICANN, defining scope is hard and there are a lot of challenges. But I have to say, Eric and his colleagues, they have done a very good job. There were some bumps in the road, but now [inaudible] work plan and everything, there is a clear end and a vision. I hope in August we have the [inaudible]. It might move a bit, but they're on track and they're producing real work. So, with that – and to be honest, I'm proud and happy that we have one of the very active members and [inaudible] leadership as our liaison. So, thank you, Eric.

BRAD VERD: Any other questions for Eric? I'd like to thank Eric. Thank you very much for coming and sharing and we look forward to talking in the future. Thank you.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Absolutely.

BRAD VERD: Alright. Back up on the agenda. Did Suzanne show up? Okay, sorry, you weren't here in the beginning. I didn't see you come in.

SUZANNE WOOLF: No, no, I tried too hard not to interrupt.

BRAD VERD: Well, you did good because I didn't see it. IANA function review update. I think this will probably be quick.

SUZANNE WOOLF: Yeah. For the record, I did inquire. I checked with our staff because I was afraid I had overlooked some communication on the subject and it turns out that they're still getting started. So, I expect that to be active soon, but I'm not sure. Our staff team probably know a whole lot more than I do about when.

BRAD VERD: I can tell it was shared with us in the leadership meeting on Friday which was the ICANN bylaws call for the ccNSO to appoint three members to the IANA review, two of which are members of the ... I'm sorry, three appointees to the review, two of which are members of the ccNSO, one of which is a non-member. So, Hiro is over there nodding his head, so I'm getting this right.

The issue is that they've done so well in getting membership that they can't get somebody to fill the third seat of a non-member to participate.

So, you guys probably all remember the e-mail that we shared. The ccNSO proposed that if the community was okay with it, they would fill the third seat with a third member and they asked if anybody objected. We did not object. However, there was a community that did object, and because of the objection, the IANA review is on hold until the bylaw can be resolved. So, that's I think the status. Am I right?

SUZANNE WOOLF: That's more recent information than I had because the last I heard, they were still trying to fill the third seat.

BRAD VERD: Well, they filled the third seat. They have a name to put in there, but because somebody in the community has objected to that, moving forward, they can't move forward with it. Any questions around that?

Okay. We don't have anything for the NomCom because we already got updated. ATRT-3, no updates. Fellowship Committee, no updates. Then Fellowship Mentoring Committee, no update. Carlos?

CARLOS REYES: The reason there's no reports here is not that they're not participating. It's just that they haven't started. So, ATRT-3 has been on hold for a while and the fellowship, the new structure for the fellowship doesn't get started until Marrakech.

BRAD VERD: Yeah. I think ATRT-3 met for the first time here this week. Anyway, any other business? So, there was nothing added at the beginning. Is there anything else we need to cover? Anything in Adobe? No? Last call.

With that, thank you very much. The meeting is adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]